Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Mineral King: Avoiding 4th of July in the Outdoors

| | 0 comments
Ahhh....Mineral King Valley: my personal favorite place to go in the Sequoia's. It's not that I don't like Fourth of July. I just don't understand the whole White-Trash-themed BBQ's and sitting around outside when its blazing suns and getting sunburned and drunk. Does that make me Anti-American? Oh well...we did this instead:


Let me set the scene a little for you so you understand just how difficult this 3 day (roughly 30 miles) backpacking trip was. Sam and I have always been campers, adventurers, and outdoorsy folks. It wasn't until this last year that we discovered I struggle (pretty badly) with altitude sickness. That means that when I go up into high altitudes I get sick: headaches, nausea, inability to sleep well, lack of appetite, etc. The first TWO times it happened (read about it here and here), I hadn't even heard of it, nor was I ready to admit I had this 'thing' that clearly only 'unhealthy people who are uncomfortable outside' have. It wasn't until we went to a seminar in search of tips on how to be a successful Mt Whitney Peakbagger that the dots connected. Actually, I think I was sill in denial then. The man giving the talk started listing the symptoms. In my head I was thinking "check, check, yup, check check..." Out loud I said, "No, remember, it was food poisoning...or nerves...or something."

Fast forward to this last trip in the Mineral King area of the Sequoia's. I had read up on my "sickness" and was coming well prepared. I even got some crazy drugs from the doctor (who warned me of the tingle feeling I would get in my hands and feet and the crappy taste in my mouth I would have when drinking carbonated drinks). We had 2 days to acclimate. We spent one night around 6,000ft at a car camping spot, did a day hike to well over 10,000ft, and the next night at 7,800ft...and then we were off....

...to sit in the car while I cried and tried to force a granola bar down and decide if I wanted to make myself go on this trip. All I could think was how much smaller the world felt at that moment. All the places I wouldn't be able to go, the mountains I wouldn't be able to climb...I thought for sure I had mentally prepared myself to "ignore" my symptoms. I thought I could will myself into being fine. Clearly, I had low will power, or I really did suffer from this 'thing'. The previous times I had gotten these symtoms began to make much more sense...and I think we had resorted to turn around and go home.

But I'm stubborn. And though he would never say it or make me feel bad about it, I didn't want to let Sam down. So, off we went....slowly....

We set out to do a loop we had previously turned around on (because I had food poisoning, remember?! ;). Here's a highlighted Map of the route we chose:

Our first night's destination: Bug Pond...er, I mean, Pinto Lake. Beautiful marshy lake area, infested with mosquitoes and Deer. At least it was so the last time we were here. Probably due to it being a dry year, the mozzies weren't too much of a bother. And guess what, I was feeling ok. Not tip top, but I had made it up over Timber Gap (up 1,500ft) , down (2,5300 ft) into the valley, Crossed Cliff Creek without falling into it, and up (1,700ft) again to Pinto Lake.


Crossing Cliff Creek


Home for the Night at Pinto Lake Campground


Sam, cooking dinner with the ultra lightweight cook system he made 


We hiked over to a little hill to catch the sunset reflecting off what we thought to be Sawtooth Peak

The next morning we had to get over Black Rock Pass (3,000ft), pass through the Big Five Lakes Area, the Little Five lakes area, and get to at least the Lost Creek Trail Junction (sleeping somewhere just below 10,000ft elevation). We had been to the top of Black Rock Pass before, but I was barfing. I was looking forward to a barfless summit. Success. I was even eating real food on the way up. 
Looking back toward Pinto Lake as we get closer to Black Rock Pass


Soon, We'll be far above that waterfall


Here's another view of the same waterfall


As you climb black Rock, multiple lakes and waterfalls become visible. It helps you track your progress. 


At the top of Black Rock Pass, looking down at the Little Five Lakes


Getting closer to the Lakes as we go down


And here....We didn't go for a swim though. They were extremely cold and we were not that hot. 


We camped somewhere along the Lost Canyon Trail with the advice from a Ranger. We suspect it was about a mile after the trail junction. The next day was the bi day we were going to climb over Sawtooth. We woke up pretty early, on got on the trail by about 6 am. That may sound terrible, but really, when you go to bed at 9pm the night before, your eyes just spring open at sunrise sometime around 5 or 5:30am. 
Heading out of Lost Canyon, Sawtooth in front of us


Looking back at Lost Canyon. It sure was beautiful. 


Shadow Selfie in Lost Canyon. 


Columbine Lake, halfway to Sawtooth. The hardest part is coming...


Oh look how much Columbine Lake shrank once we got to the top of Sawtooth!


Looking down into Mineral King Valley from Sawtooth Pass. 


We opted not to make the optional summit from the Pass to the Peak. It was another Mile (unmarked rock scrambling) and another 900-1,000ft or so. I did NOT have it in me. I shed tears of joy on this pass. I felt like crap, I had only eaten some nuts and a fruit bar for the day, and I barely made it to the top. But I felt like I had won a war against the altitude. This whole trip will always be one that stands out in my mind as one of conquest, even if just barely. I wish I had taken more pictures to show how steep Sawtooth was on both sides, but it was the last thing on my mind. 
From Left to Right: Nerd 1 (also known as Sam), Nerd 2 (Also known as Katy, me), and Sawtooth Peak. 


Hey Look, We're almost back to our tarp covered car! 



Mineral King, I hope we share more weekends in the future. 
My Favorite picture from the weekend.  I mean...look at it!!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

EverythingIsBetterOutside on Instagram:

 
Twitter Facebook Dribbble Tumblr Last FM Flickr Behance